Crouch is a state which crushes highs and can block lows. It can be entered by holding D/B, D, or D/F. Crouch can be used to enter the stances full crouch (FC) and while standing (WS), giving access to new moves and preventing the use of regular, standing moves.
It also prevents sideways movement into the screen
Full crouch is a stance entered after holding D/B, D, or D/F for 11 frames. It gives access to moves listed as “while crouching” in the in-game movelist and FC on Wavu Wiki.
FC d+1, FC d+2, FC d+3, and FC d+4 can be done after holding D/B, D, or D/F for only 6 frames.
When a player is forced into crouch, they recover in this stance.
While standing is a temporary stance lasting 6 frames after releasing D while in full crouch. It gives access to moves listed as “While rising” in the in-game movelist and WS on Wavu Wiki.
Standing moves cannot be done from while standing, with the exception of moves with u/b, u, or u/f inputs.
A crouch cancel is any movement that exits crouch without entering while standing: sidestep up (u~n), dash (f,f), backdash (b,b), or something character specific.
This is done to access standing moves quickly after recovering in crouch or being forced into crouch.
u,n 1 added frame minimum
b,n,b / f,n,f 2 added frames minimum, but for f,f "stance" moves it also only adds 1f extra (due to also adding 1f extra to animation with move inputs)
When D/B, D, or D/F is input from standing, there are three different stances involved.
|Crouch level 1|
|Crouch level 2|
|Crouch level 3|
- Level 1 will perform standing attacks, so this is still in the standing “stance”, but it will crush high moves. This can be used to include 1-5 frame window of high crush into standing attacks with a down direction input holding d/b / d / d/f input for said amount of frames (e.g. hold d/f 1-5f +1 for delayed d/f+1 with high crush).
- Level 2 will perform half crouch attacks with no additional inputs (e.g. FC d+3), and will perform while standing attacks if D is released
- Level 3 will perform all crouch attacks, i.e., full crouch and half crouch.
If D is held for 6 frames, while standing attacks must be input exactly as D is released. For every extra frame D is held, an extra frame of n is allowed.
Strictly speaking, it's not accurate to think of while standing as a distinct stance from crouch. Rather, while standing moves are performed from crouch level 2 or 3 with D released and the crouch stance lingering. At crouch level 2, it lingers for as long as level 2 has been entered for. At level 3, it lingers for 6 frames.
If D is pressed during this lingering, crouch is re-entered faster the less lingering there was. So the lingering can be thought of as unwinding the crouch stance, which takes longer the deeper into crouch you are.
In all cases, the stance (which moves you can use) is distinct from the state (whether highs are being crushed and lows blocked). The state is decided entirely by whether or not D is held.
❓ This section needs clarification
Crushing highs speeds up the transition through the crouch levels and does weird stuff sometimes.
Instant while standing
Instant while standing (iWS) describes a broad range of techniques for performing while standing moves from standing as quickly as possible.
The universal technique to do this is holding D for 6 frames, then releasing it and pressing the attack button on the same frame. Contrary to popular belief, doing any other input (such as a half circle or quarter circle motion) does not make this any faster, but it can help with the timing.
Many characters have crouch dashes which can access while standing moves faster than the universal method, or at the same or similar speed but with added movement.
2 added frames: Feng, Nina, Leo, Lili, Paul (d,f,n) | Steve b+3+4,db,n | Eddy d,f,f
3 added frames: Feng, Paul d,d/f,f
4 added frames: Armor King, Bob,Devil Jin, Heihachi, Hwoarang, Jin, Kazuya f,n,d,d/f,n
6 added frames: others
Instant full crouch
Instant full crouch (iFC) describes performing non-generic full crouch moves from standing as quickly as possible.
The universal technique to do this is holding D/B, D, or D/F for 11 frames and then doing the attack. If the direction held overlaps with the directions of the FC move itself, after holding for 31f you will get the FC input - e.g. Geese FC d/f+1 versus FC 1 after 31f of hold.
Notable exceptions are:
- Marduk iFC through his Vale Tudo Stance (VTS) with only 1 added frame at fastest execution or 2 if there is an overlapping VTS move requiring you to cancel the stance with d/b before the FC move - e.g. 3+4,(d/b) <FC move>
- Jack-7 can access FC d/b+1 with only 6 added frames of holding D/B
- Yoshimitsu can access FC d/f+4 with only 6 added frames of holding D/F
- Eddy can access FC 1+2 with only 6 added frames
- Nina can access FC d/f+4 with d,df,D/F+4 with only 8 added frames