In tournaments, the typical rules are that the first match is on a random stage, and every match after that the loser chooses; the loser may instead opt to change character, which leads to another random stage being chosen.
Some types of stages that players choose from are:
- Infinite stages (stages without walls), which create a slower paced and more controlled game, and can benefit characters that are more defensive or that have weaker wall pressure.
- Octagon stages, which can enable more resplats and tech traps.
- Large stages, which can benefit characters with stronger wall carry.
- Small stages, which can benefit characters with stronger wall pressure or weaker wall carry.
- Stages with misaligned starting positions, such as Souq, which can enable some tech traps.
- Stages with dodgy walls, which can enable some tech traps.
Some uniquely notable stages that are often picked are:
- Forgotten Realms, which has multiple stage-wide floor breaks.
- Howard Estate, which has multiple, consecutive, breakable walls.
- Jungle Outpost, which is the smallest stage with a balcony break.
List of stages
|Mishima Dojo||20x24||Square w/ 2 rounded corners|
|Forgotten Realm||24x18 X||3 floors||Rectangle|
|Jungle Outpost||23x13||balcony, wall||Rectangle w/ rounded corners|
|Twilight Conflict||22x19||balcony||Rectangle w/ square corners|
|Souq||26.5x17.5 X||Rectangle w/ 4 different corner depths & angles|
|Duomo Di Sirio||23x20||balcony||Rectangle w/ rounded corners|
|G Corp. Helipad||~17x16||2 walls||Semicircle w/ hard-angled corners|
|Brimstone and Fire||24.2x24.2||Octagon|
|Precipice of Fate||24.2x24.2||Octagon|
|Violet Systems||26x22.5||Rectangle w/ rounded corners|
|Kinder Gym||24x24||Square w/ rounded corners|
|Geometric Plane||24x24||Square w/ rounded corners|
|Howard Estate||22x15||3 walls, balcony||Rectangle w/ rounded corners|
|Hammerhead||28x16 X||Rectangle w/ hard corners|
|Last Day on Earth||28x16||Rectangle w/ hard corners|
|Cave of Enlightenment||18x24||balcony, floor||Rectangle w/ hard corners|
|Vermilion Gates||24x16||balcony||Rectangle w/ hard corners|
- 'X' indicates players start along diagonal axis. Dimensions are based on dimensions before gimmicks are activated.
- Has two versions.
- Paid DLC