This page is for Tekken 8. For Tekken 7, see King (Tekken 7).
King is Tekken's iconic implementation of a grappler, having access to a wide variety of very strong and very useful throws.
King has great approach tools and great pokes, enabling him to get in on his opponents and stay in to make opponents hesitate to create openings for him to make use of his ambiguous throw mixup between Giant Swing and Shining Wizard (the latter of which is referred to as Tomahawk in-game). To discourage opponents from ducking his throws, he is also equipped with an arsenal of strong mids and very rewarding crouch throws for hard reads.
The introduction of King's new and repurposed powercrush moves are exceptionally powerful tools for dealing with pressure and stealing turns from the opponent, rewarding him with big damage and knockdowns, and mixups from his new stance.
King's new Jaguar Sprint (notated as JGR) gives him a mixup between an unbreakable heat engager throw, a homing mid that low crushes, a low-crushing dropkick, and an elbow mid that becomes an instant bound launcher during Heat.
- Patron Saint of Throws: King has one of the best selection of throws in the game. Not only does he have an arsenal of traditional 1, 2, and 1+2 breaks, he also has the devastating Giant Swing/Shining Wizard mixup, where the two throws look nearly identical despite having completely different breaks. He even has a set of "gimmick" throws, including several throws that work on crouching or downed opponents.
- Prodigious Poking: King has a good set of pokes and homing moves to condition the opponent to sit still, setting up his throw mixups. Opponents who duck must contend with his devastating mids, like uf4, db2, f4, and f2,1.
- Neutral Control: King is armed with array of block and whiff punishers with a good balance of speed, range, and damage, which also set up his throw mixups.
- Knowledge Checker: Aside from basic throw knowledge checks, King has extremely damaging chain throws that can be used against opponents. If the opponent doesn't know the proper breaks, they can end up eating a huge amount of damage with no way of stopping it.
- Armored Aggression: Db1+2 gives King high and mid armor on demand, allowing him to blast through opponent pressure faster than most other characters.
- Big Boy: King's huge frame and poor backwards movement combines to make him very weak on defense. He must be very considerate of his opponent's offensive choices.
|Characters (Tekken 8)